Skip to main content

Choose Right: Fight, Flight, Or Fright? How To Conquer Your Fear

Humor can save your sanity yet! Certainly, the continuing un/cultivated scare about the coronavirus complicated with the lockdown, has been causing people either to choose to fight, take flight, or cower in fright.

Many years ago, not yet married, probably 1965, I almost lost my mind! I had been kicked out of UP Los Baños (Extreme Delinquent), was silently but publicly insulted, resulting in my breaking off with my girlfriend – family pride destroyed, personal pride shattered.

Fortunately, there was a psychiatrist of sort in town, Asingan in Pangasinan, and he saved me from the jaws of mental death. Literally. But I was still mentally disturbed and had difficulty sleeping at night – until I read in a book of psychology, being a wide reader, that I had to “confront my fear.”

That was 36 years before the Internet came to the Philippines. Today, you can read many books and/or articles about the many ways of how to “Confront Your Fear.” I will mention one source here, but I want to tell you right now that I have kept my sanity because I am a creative person. I cannot run out of topics to write about, or I do not have to repeat my formula for writing because I am an original aboriginal – Ilocano. A quote from British wit Oscar Wilde is a great help to me in my inventiveness:

Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll.
The optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist sees the hole!
(Doughnut & quote image
[1] from Donut Magic)

If you see humor, you’re all right!

You are also okay if you are an optimist:
You can see Opportunity where others see Obstruction.
You can see Option where others see Obstacles.
You can see Donuts where others see only Holes!

Now: What do you do when you cannot be an optimist? Listen to what a friend told Damisok (28 October 2016, “How To Confront Your Fears (Explained)[2],” BTS Media Blog):

You need to look deep within yourself and separate yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself.

The Worrier You versus the Better You. Damisok says:

Fear is not a sign of abnormality or weakness… Fear is a healthy feeling. It is the brain’s reaction when overwhelmed by an unpleasant situation. Being fearless is basically leveraging fear. It is knowing how to manage fear so it doesn’t overwhelm you.

Damisok advises you:

#10. Get a mentor or a life coach.
#09. Read a book.
#08. Watch an inspirational movie.
#07. Tell yourself a story.
#06. Talk about it to someone.
#05. Change your thinking – eliminate the negatives.
#04. Write it down.
#03. Speak positive words out aloud to yourself.
#02. Show some gratitude.
#01. Go out and do something.
The more you do something, the better you become at it and the more confidence you gain.

My single advice is: Do something good for others. That has been my advice to myself in the last 45 years: I write good for others.@517



[1]https://www.facebook.com/Donutmagic/photos/

[2]https://btsmediablog.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/how-to-confront-your-fears-explained/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start Economic Recovery, Start Public & Private Partnership – End The Lockdown Now!

Is the Philippine Department of Agriculture (DA) ready to fulfill its own nationwide agricultural responsibilities once all kinds of quarantines are down? Yes, under the leadership and planning-ahead head of Secretary William Dar. Never. In my 20 years of blogging, after thousands upon thousands of short & long essays published online, I never wrote in favor of an advertisement – until now. I am looking at the Facebook ad of CitizenWatch Philippines with the headline, “Public And Private Partnership Is The Key Towards Sustainable Development” (upper image above). And the lock to open it today is to end the lockdown! CitizenWatch is saying: We call on the government to work with the private sector in creating sustainable initiatives that will fortify a future-proofed Philippines beyond this pandemic. "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country [1] " – Charles E Weller. Today, we must love our country, all of it!  Now is the time for all goo...

07, The More The Merrier – P1B From DA Supportive Of 10 Bataan Model Farms Leading PH Agriculture

Very optimistic – and excited – was Secretary of Agriculture William Dar after visiting 2 model 1-ha farms in the villages of Daang Bago and San Simon in the town of Dinalupihan, Bataan, Friday, 19 February 2021. He said in the DA news release “Bataan Model Farms Demonstrate Future Of Philippine Agriculture” (20 February 2021): I am thrilled to have seen the progress of this rice-high-value crops diversification system evolving in the Municipality of Dinalupihan. We were here when the idea was being conceived in 2019 and now it has really started its journey, its development. As an agriculturist and a communicator for development in the last 45 years, I know: That it is all markedly historical for the Philippines. The cropping calls for rice in the wet season, and high-value crops (vegetables) in the dry season, with fertigation (fertilization via irrigation). And the technology-setup is replicated 10 times in the same municipality. (I don’t know why, but 60-year old foreign-funde...

Historical PH 1st Holy Mass: Mazaua Or Limasawa? Fr Amalla Vs Maria Serena Diokno Vs Ambeth Ocampo – And The Priest Is Right!

We Filipinos celebrate 500 years of Christianity today Wednesday, 31 March 2021, Christianity brought to pagans by Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan sailing the seas for Spain. The historical question is: Where was the first Holy Mass celebrated: “Limasawa” (in Leyte) or “Mazaua” (in Butuan)? Catholic priest Fr Joesilo C Amalla has just published the book (above), An Island They Called Mazaua, that argues the island of “Mazaua” in Butuan is the “true site of first Holy Mass in the Philippines [1] ”  and not “Limasawa” in Leyte (ANN, 07 January 2021, Manila Times ). The declaration and discussion are made by Butuan-based Fr Amalla in his 644-page book. Among other things, he writes: The truth is that the prevailing state- and church-affirmation and multiple reaffirmations of the island of Limasawa as the site of that first Holy Mass have no factual, historical and geographic (bases) whatsoever nor any shred of evidentiary support from cartographic studies, navigational info...