Skip to main content

An (Inadvertent) Easter Lesson In Creative Writing For Anyone

As of Easter Sunday, 04 April 2021, as a creative writer who started publishing himself, in print in 1975, or 55 years ago, and in digital media in 2000, or 20 years ago, I have blogged digitally alone about 7,000 essays – long, up to 7,000 words; and short, exactly 517 words, including title. Extra creative!

My very last essay, which I blogged Sunday, “2 Leadership Lessons From Apayao Women – Help Yourself By Helping Others[1]” (Asa Ka Pa!), is most original and extraordinary – so far, it’s my best! But it started in my head nothing like that.

Lesson: Your best is still to come. There’s hope!

In the top image, Akin Olokun says, “People come into your life and go, but you will always have to live with yourself. Make yourself pleasant, positive, and peaceful.” The bottom image says, “The great gift of Easter is Hope” – Basil Hume, Archbishop of Westminster, who “presided over one of the most turbulent periods of Catholicism in Britain[2].” The great British poet Alexander Popesays, “Hope springs eternal in the human breast.” Unless of course you have forgotten to be human!

Early Sunday morning, out there in a neighboring field getting my 15-minute of fresh air, with grasses growing and trees showing, it dawned on me that while my Easter essay is a surprise lesson on Filipino women and leadership, it is also a surprise lesson in writing, whether you call it creative or not.

In my case, believe it or not, when I came across the original news-story by Kathleen Faye B Agonoy titled “Rural Women-Led Communal Gardening In Celebration Of National Women’s Month[3]” (29 March 2021, SAAD.da.gov.ph), I read it with a pleasant, positive, and peaceful mind – with extra hope that something new & wonderful will come out – and it did! If before reading I had judged it according to my high writing standards, I would not have known what I was missing: Inspiration.

Being hopeful, pleasant, positive and peaceful in reading Miss Kathleen’s news surprised me and told me, if quietly, that there were some untold lessons in leadership in there that needed to be told, and I was the one to tell them. (You have to read my essay and that of Miss Kathleen’s to fully appreciate what I’m saying here.)

So, if you are a columnist, journalist, preacher, speaker, student, or teacher, the lesson for you to come up with some original thoughts that will surprise even you is to assume a hopeful, pleasant, positive, and peaceful attitude when reading anything, whether intended as your source material or not. You never know what will come out of that!

No, I was not thinking of learning or giving leadership lessons when I was reading Miss Kathleen's story, even if the title suggested it: “Rural Women-Led Communal Gardening…..”

But that’s exactly the point: When you leave your mind open to all possibilities, creativity creeps in! You just have to have some experience to recognize your own genius when it shows up in your thoughts!@517



[1]https://asakaparin.blogspot.com/2021/04/2-leadership-lessons-from-apayao-women.html

[2]https://biography.yourdictionary.com/basil-hume

[3]http://saad.da.gov.ph/2021/03/rural-women-led-communal-gardening-in-celebration-of-national-womens-month/?fbclid=IwAR3S2wSH-q7IJFlKBziZsbJcfid6QsPbknFD2sHDW4p-61-of1-Vbriq6Ok

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start Economic Recovery, Start Public & Private Partnership – End The Lockdown Now!

Is the Philippine Department of Agriculture (DA) ready to fulfill its own nationwide agricultural responsibilities once all kinds of quarantines are down? Yes, under the leadership and planning-ahead head of Secretary William Dar. Never. In my 20 years of blogging, after thousands upon thousands of short & long essays published online, I never wrote in favor of an advertisement – until now. I am looking at the Facebook ad of CitizenWatch Philippines with the headline, “Public And Private Partnership Is The Key Towards Sustainable Development” (upper image above). And the lock to open it today is to end the lockdown! CitizenWatch is saying: We call on the government to work with the private sector in creating sustainable initiatives that will fortify a future-proofed Philippines beyond this pandemic. "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country [1] " – Charles E Weller. Today, we must love our country, all of it!  Now is the time for all goo...

07, The More The Merrier – P1B From DA Supportive Of 10 Bataan Model Farms Leading PH Agriculture

Very optimistic – and excited – was Secretary of Agriculture William Dar after visiting 2 model 1-ha farms in the villages of Daang Bago and San Simon in the town of Dinalupihan, Bataan, Friday, 19 February 2021. He said in the DA news release “Bataan Model Farms Demonstrate Future Of Philippine Agriculture” (20 February 2021): I am thrilled to have seen the progress of this rice-high-value crops diversification system evolving in the Municipality of Dinalupihan. We were here when the idea was being conceived in 2019 and now it has really started its journey, its development. As an agriculturist and a communicator for development in the last 45 years, I know: That it is all markedly historical for the Philippines. The cropping calls for rice in the wet season, and high-value crops (vegetables) in the dry season, with fertigation (fertilization via irrigation). And the technology-setup is replicated 10 times in the same municipality. (I don’t know why, but 60-year old foreign-funde...

Historical PH 1st Holy Mass: Mazaua Or Limasawa? Fr Amalla Vs Maria Serena Diokno Vs Ambeth Ocampo – And The Priest Is Right!

We Filipinos celebrate 500 years of Christianity today Wednesday, 31 March 2021, Christianity brought to pagans by Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan sailing the seas for Spain. The historical question is: Where was the first Holy Mass celebrated: “Limasawa” (in Leyte) or “Mazaua” (in Butuan)? Catholic priest Fr Joesilo C Amalla has just published the book (above), An Island They Called Mazaua, that argues the island of “Mazaua” in Butuan is the “true site of first Holy Mass in the Philippines [1] ”  and not “Limasawa” in Leyte (ANN, 07 January 2021, Manila Times ). The declaration and discussion are made by Butuan-based Fr Amalla in his 644-page book. Among other things, he writes: The truth is that the prevailing state- and church-affirmation and multiple reaffirmations of the island of Limasawa as the site of that first Holy Mass have no factual, historical and geographic (bases) whatsoever nor any shred of evidentiary support from cartographic studies, navigational info...