Skip to main content

The IRRI That Was/Is Misunderstood

No, I am not an un/known paid apologist of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), but I am an agriculturist, UP Los Baños, and a writer, creative and critical – you have to appreciate being Critical before you can achieve the genius level of being Creative. And practice makes perfect, so!

The top image says, “IRRI: The Miracle That Never Was & Never Will Be,” a Facebook sharing by a group (never mind who). Here is its list of “Little-Known Truths About How IRRI Harms Filipino Rice Farmers” –

1: IRRI ignores the effectiveness of the peasant-oriented approach to growing food.
2: IRRI ignores the cries for justice of its workers and peasants whose rights it violated.
3: IRRI undermines self-sustaining peasant farming.
4: IRRI’s Green Revolution model is now being decried worldwide as it worsens the climate crisis.

Peasant-oriented approach to growing food?

Whatever it is or how it is carried out, sorry, but that “peasant-oriented approach” has failed to banish poverty among the farmers who do not know how to properly apply technology for farming.

Justice For IRRI Workers & Peasants?

Since 1959, when I was Freshman at UP Los Baños, I have been in and out of the campus, and I never heard, even whispered about IRRI abusing or not treating its employees right.

Personally, I see IRRI is not that brave. In 1980, I actually applied for a position in its Information Division – and I aced the Aptitude Test! What happened? IRRI was afraid of my genius.

3: Self-Sustaining Peasant Farming?

I happen to be the son of a not-so-poor farmer, so I know that our poor farmers do not know about self-sustaining farming – they are always the losers in the bargain! They are not entrepreneurial. They do not look at it as a business, which it is.

The farmers have to learn to mind their own business!

4: IRRI’s Green Revolution Worsening Climate Change?

To this I will have to agree 100% – but first, I must explain that in fact it was our President Ferdinand “FM” Marcos who declared the Green Revolution based on IRRI’s so-called Miracle Rice (IR8).

Yes, since there are millions of hectares of ricefields all over the world, they must be the source of nitrous oxide, the deadliest climate change gas the world has known. And that exactly is why we need the New Thinking for Agriculture that Secretary of Agriculture William Dar brought in with him when he was appointed 05 August 2019.

That must-remain-unknown group argues that “IRRI is implicated in the harsh realities plaguing the rice sector: poor, debt-ridden rice farmers, supply shortages, an overdependence on imports, poisoned environment, and health.” No, it’s not IRRI who is at fault; who is guilty is more our local government leadership who does not understand or appreciate how farmers remain poor – they like to borrow a fast P5 and pay a fat P6! And the Merchants of Venice take advantage of them almost always.

“How could a supposedly premier rice institution fail so spectacularly in its promise?” No, IRRI never promised You a Rose Garden!@517

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start Economic Recovery, Start Public & Private Partnership – End The Lockdown Now!

Is the Philippine Department of Agriculture (DA) ready to fulfill its own nationwide agricultural responsibilities once all kinds of quarantines are down? Yes, under the leadership and planning-ahead head of Secretary William Dar. Never. In my 20 years of blogging, after thousands upon thousands of short & long essays published online, I never wrote in favor of an advertisement – until now. I am looking at the Facebook ad of CitizenWatch Philippines with the headline, “Public And Private Partnership Is The Key Towards Sustainable Development” (upper image above). And the lock to open it today is to end the lockdown! CitizenWatch is saying: We call on the government to work with the private sector in creating sustainable initiatives that will fortify a future-proofed Philippines beyond this pandemic. "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country [1] " – Charles E Weller. Today, we must love our country, all of it!  Now is the time for all goo...

07, The More The Merrier – P1B From DA Supportive Of 10 Bataan Model Farms Leading PH Agriculture

Very optimistic – and excited – was Secretary of Agriculture William Dar after visiting 2 model 1-ha farms in the villages of Daang Bago and San Simon in the town of Dinalupihan, Bataan, Friday, 19 February 2021. He said in the DA news release “Bataan Model Farms Demonstrate Future Of Philippine Agriculture” (20 February 2021): I am thrilled to have seen the progress of this rice-high-value crops diversification system evolving in the Municipality of Dinalupihan. We were here when the idea was being conceived in 2019 and now it has really started its journey, its development. As an agriculturist and a communicator for development in the last 45 years, I know: That it is all markedly historical for the Philippines. The cropping calls for rice in the wet season, and high-value crops (vegetables) in the dry season, with fertigation (fertilization via irrigation). And the technology-setup is replicated 10 times in the same municipality. (I don’t know why, but 60-year old foreign-funde...

Historical PH 1st Holy Mass: Mazaua Or Limasawa? Fr Amalla Vs Maria Serena Diokno Vs Ambeth Ocampo – And The Priest Is Right!

We Filipinos celebrate 500 years of Christianity today Wednesday, 31 March 2021, Christianity brought to pagans by Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan sailing the seas for Spain. The historical question is: Where was the first Holy Mass celebrated: “Limasawa” (in Leyte) or “Mazaua” (in Butuan)? Catholic priest Fr Joesilo C Amalla has just published the book (above), An Island They Called Mazaua, that argues the island of “Mazaua” in Butuan is the “true site of first Holy Mass in the Philippines [1] ”  and not “Limasawa” in Leyte (ANN, 07 January 2021, Manila Times ). The declaration and discussion are made by Butuan-based Fr Amalla in his 644-page book. Among other things, he writes: The truth is that the prevailing state- and church-affirmation and multiple reaffirmations of the island of Limasawa as the site of that first Holy Mass have no factual, historical and geographic (bases) whatsoever nor any shred of evidentiary support from cartographic studies, navigational info...